Support for Regulars and their families

1. Posted into the area

You can find local information via:

> Back to top

2. Establishing a family home in the area


If you have children and are moving into the area you will need to register them with a school.

The Schools Admissions Code in England was changed in 2014 to support service families, who can apply and be allocated a place before they move into an area. Children can be accepted mid-term and class sizes increased to beyond the normal maximum to accommodate them.

You can find out more on page 25 of the Schools Admissions Code.

Further information on schools, learning and admissions:

Watch this video on YouTube

If your child has special educational needs and disabilities (SEND), the SEND Local Offer is there to support you.

Family support

The Family Information Service (FIS) is a free information and signposting service that covers a wide range of family related topics such as:

  • childcare
  • Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
  • mediation
  • divorce
  • separation
  • finance
  • health
  • bullying
  • support groups
  • parenting support

Universal Credit for Armed Forces personnel and their families

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment that will eventually replace some of the benefits and tax credits you may have claimed previously. Serving personnel and their families may be entitled to Universal Credit when the serving member is temporarily posted overseas.

Find out more about Universal Credit.

> Back to top

3. Health services

It is important to ensure that your GP surgery registers your family members on the NHS system as a dependent of a currently serving member of the British Armed Forces.

You must give your F MED 133 Medical History on Release Form HM Forces to the practice you register with. If your doctor requires more of your medical information they can request it from:

Personnel Centre
Secretariat Disclosure 3 (Medical)
MP 525, Kentigern House
65 Brown Street
G2 8EX

The code for family members – 13WW: Dependant of currently serving member of British Armed Forces.

This code flags to the GP and other NHS services that they are a dependent and can be supported through the Covenant.

It is important to note that these codes will only kick in if your issue is related to military service. If not, the Armed Forces Covenant does not apply.

Transferring NHS medical care from one area to another

If an immediate family member has been on a NHS waiting list for treatment (whether physical, mental or dental health treatment) in the area of your previous posting, the time spent on the waiting list will be taken into account when you register for treatment in this area.

This is because the NHS Constitution in England has been changed to embed the two key principles of the Armed Forces Covenant. Page 17 of the Handbook to the NHS Constitution states:

As part of this principle and in line with the Armed Forces Covenant, the NHS will ensure that members of the Armed Forces Community (including those serving, reservists, their families and veterans) are supported, treated equally and receive the same standard of, and access to healthcare as any other UK citizen in the area they live…… Families of serving personnel moving around the country, any time taken on an NHS treatment waiting list will be taken to account in their new location.

If you do experience problems with transferring your NHS waiting list time, contact AFF Health and Additional needs Specialist at

If you are part of a Naval Service family, contact the Naval Families Federation at or Tel 023 9265 4374.

Local authority health and wellbeing services

Local authorities work to improve the health and wellbeing of its residents. Information on a range of health and wellbeing issues can be found:

> Back to top

4. Offers and discounts

A number of organisations, shops and attractions show their support for the Armed Forces by providing discounts. Remember to ask when making a booking or inquiry.

Also see:

> Back to top

5. Support organisations

There are over 2000 military charities and Regimental Associations as well as civilian organisations supporting the Armed Forces community. Some key ones are:

  • The Army Families Federation (AFF) – independent of the Chain of Command and offers confidential advice.
  • Naval Families Federation – independent of the Chain of Command and offers confidential advice.
  • RAF Families Federation – independent of the Chain of Command and offers confidential advice.
  • Joining Forces Credit Union – the MoD has made it possible for three of the UK’s leading credit unions to join forces and make simple savings accounts and loans available to the armed forces and their families.
  • Little Troopers – is a registered charity supporting all children with parents serving in the British Armed Forces, regular or reserve.
  • Moneyforce – aims to assist all Service personnel, their partners, families and dependants, to be better equipped to manage their money and financial affairs.
  • The Royal British Legion – provides practical support to serving men and women, veterans (ex-service of all ages) and their families.
  • SSAFA (Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association) – helps with welfare advice and support, health and social care support and specialised support for bereaved families and those who are wounded, injured or sick.
  • The Big White Wall – a safe online community of people who are anxious, down or not coping who support and help each other by sharing what’s troubling them, guided by trained professionals.
  • Citizen’s Advice – provides free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities and have specific advice pages for the Armed Forces community.
  • Galop – is a national Lesbian, Gay, Bi-Sexual and Trans-Gender support organisation for those experiencing hate crime, sexual violence or domestic abuse.
  • Gingerbread – provides expert advice, practical support and campaigns for single parents on anything from dealing with a break-up, to going back to work or sorting out maintenance, benefit or tax credit issues.
  • Relate – relationship support services.
  • Respect Yourself – sex and relationship set of services aimed at young people up to the age of 25.
  • The Samaritans – work to alleviate emotional distress and reduce the incidence of suicide feelings and suicidal behaviour.

> Back to top