What is anti-social behaviour (ASB)?
“Acting in a manner that caused or was likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or more persons, not of the same household as (the defendant)”.
Anti-social behaviour is a broad term used to describe the day-to-day incidents of crime, nuisance and disorder that make many people’s lives a misery. This can include litter, vandalism, public drunkenness, aggressive dogs and noisy or abusive neighbours.
The following examples of behaviours are included in this definition of ASB:
- nuisance behaviour – general rowdy behaviour and nuisance, prostitution, aggressive begging, street drinking, animal nuisance
- noise nuisance – loud music, playing ball games near to people’s houses
- intimidation or harassment – malicious phone calls, offensive material through letterboxes
- environmental quality issues – litter, dog fouling, fly tipping, abandoned vehicles, dumped rubbish
- aggressive and threatening language and behaviour – verbal and physical abuse including threatening and offensive gestures
- violence against people and property – ASB-based vandalism, violence, arson, criminal damage
- hate behaviour – ASB-based on targeting individuals, which is motivated by hostility or prejudice towards someone because of their disability, gender identity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or an individual characteristic that makes someone appear different (e.g. alternative subcultures, physical appearance, style of dress)
We are committed to addressing this problem through partnership working.
Reporting anti-social behaviour
To report anti-social behaviour please use the relevant number below for the local councils.
- Warwick District - 01926 456010 (Warwick District Council Community Safety)
- Stratford-on-Avon District - 01789 260123 (Stratford-on-Avon District Council Community Safety Team)
- Rugby - 0800 096 8800 (Rugby Borough Council Community Safety Wardens)
- North Warwickshire - 01827 715341 (North Warwickshire Borough Council Contact Centre)
- Nuneaton and Bedworth - 024 7637 6322 (Nuneaton & Bedworth Borough Council Community Safety Team)
If you think you are experiencing more than nuisance behaviour, and you think a crime is being committed please make Warwickshire Police your first port of call by reporting the offences online via the Warwickshire Police website. In an emergency please dial 999.
To report a hate crime
If you are experiencing any form of hate crime, including hate-based ASB, you can report these to the police. In an emergency, dial 999; in a non-emergency report via 101. Alternatively, you can report to the police (via True Vision) or to the Warwickshire Hate Crime Partnership, by using the Report Hate Now website
It is always important to report hate offences so they can be recorded. This helps the Police and local agencies build a picture of what is going on locally and what can be done to prevent it. Reporting also helps you access the support you may need
Web content composed with the free online HTML editor. Please purchase a membership to remove promotional messages like this one.