Free childcare for 2 year olds
For free childcare for your 2 year old, you must receive one of the following:
- Income Support;
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance;
- Income-related employment and support allowance;
- Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit if your annual household income is below £16,190;
- Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit;
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
or your child:
- is looked after by the local authority;
- has left care through special guardianship or an adoption or residence order;
- has a current statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care plan;
- qualifies for Disability Living Allowance.
Free early education for 3 to 4 year olds
When can my child get free childcare/early education?
Your child can receive free childcare from the term after their second birthday or nursery education from the term after their third birthday:
|Child born between||Entitlement begins|
|1st January to 31st March||April (Summer term)|
|1st April to 31st August||September (Autumn term)|
|1st September to 31st December||January (Spring term)|
How many hours is my child entitled to?
- 570 hours per year;
- Maximum of 15 hours per week over 38 weeks per year (term time);
- Some providers can offer fewer hours per week but for more weeks of the year.
How is the childcare/early education paid for?
Funding is paid directly to the childcare provider.
What happens to the information I provide?
Information is stored confidentially in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
We share information with children’s centre teams and childcare providers.
If you do not want your name and address to be shared, please contact us:
or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We have a duty to report any safeguarding concerns about your child to the Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub
Early Years Pupil Premium
Did you know your Early Years Provider may be able to claim extra funding to enhance the quality of your child’s early education? For more information take a look at this leaflet.EYPP A5 leaflet (PDF, 86.26 KB)