Children Previously Looked After (CPLA)
CPLA refers to children who are no longer looked after by a local authority in England and Wales because they are subject to an Adoption Order, Special Guardianship Order (SGO) or Child Arrangements Order (CAO).
Who is eligible to contact the Virtual School?
- Parent/carers of children previously looked after aged 2 - 16 years old who attend an education setting in Warwickshire.
- Professionals who work with children previously looked after aged 2 - 16 years old who attend an education setting in Warwickshire.
Parental consent must be sought by professionals before any discussion with the Virtual School relating to a named CPLA.
Two year old funding
Children who have left care under an adoption, SGO or CAO are entitled to two year old funding.
Adoption Support Fund
The Adoption Support Fund (ASF) provides funds to local authorities (LAs) and regional adoption agencies (RAAs) to pay for essential therapeutic services for eligible adoptive and special guardianship order families.
The ASF is available for children up to and including the age of 21, or 25 with an education, health and care (EHC) plan.
The LA or RAA that places a child with a family is responsible for assessing the needs for 3 years after the order is made. After 3 years, the responsibility lies with the LA or RAA where the family lives, if they have moved. Families apply to the relevant LA or RAA, which will assess their needs.
Useful links for parents, carers and educational settings
- Adoption UK - A charity providing support, community and advocacy for those parenting or supporting children who cannot live with their birth parents.
- PAC UK - PAC provides information and advice to anyone who has been affected by adoption or other forms of permanent care, as well as the professionals who support them, with expert, independent advice and counselling.
- Key information about schools for adoptive parents - An information booklet from PAC UK for parents and carers.
- Meeting the needs of adopted and permanently placed children - A guide for school staff from PAC UK.
- Meeting the needs of adopted and permanently placed children - A guide for parents and carers from Adoption UK.
- Coram - A charity that offers practical help and emotional support to vulnerable children, young people and their families.
- Adoption Central England (ACE) - ACE provides adoption services and adoption support to children and families.
- Brave Heart Education - Brave Heart Education has a number of free resources and training packages available, to help educators learn more about attachment and trauma, and supplement their learning.