4. Procedure for issuing penalty notices
This section applies to Penalty notices which are issued for persistent absence:
4.1 The Local Authority shall consider the issue of a penalty notice after the sending of an advisory letter and monitoring for a period of 6 weeks (30 school days) if further unauthorised absence occurs and the following are in place:
- A signed copy of the Memorandum of Understanding/ written agreement
- with school/education provider.
- A referral form is completed and submitted to the Warwickshire
Attendance Service with all the necessary information and supporting
- The circumstances of the absence meet the criteria according to the protocol.
- The period of absence is not being considered for proceedings according to Section 444 (1) or (1A) of the Education Act 1996.
- The issue of a Penalty Notice does not conflict with other intervention strategies in place by the Local Authority or by other agencies where the circumstances are known to the Local Authority.
- A copy of the pupil’s attendance record which demonstrates at least 10 sessions (5 school days) were lost to unauthorised absences in the 100 sessions (10 Weeks).
- Prior to referral a minimum period of 30 school days given for the attendance to improve, evidencing the continued support offered by school.