- Warwickshire and Coventry Agreed Syllabus for RE
- SACRE Additional Units
- Non-statutory units of work
- RE Today support materials
- Additional resources to implement the syllabus
- General resources for RE teachers (under review – Sept 2017)
Visit the SACRE page for annual reports, meeting minutes and more information.
The Agreed Syllabus sets out what pupils should be taught in religious education (RE) from ages 3-19.
All maintained schools have a statutory duty to provide a broad and balanced curriculum which includes RE. Maintained schools without a religious character are required to teach RE to all registered pupils in accordance with the locally Agreed Syllabus. Academies and free schools are also required through the terms of their funding agreement to make provision for the teaching of RE. They can choose to use the locally agreed syllabus but are not required to do so.
It is a legal requirement for the Local Authority to review the Agreed Syllabus every 5 years. The review is overseen by an Agreed Syllabus Conference (ASC), which has a similar membership to the SACRE.
The Syllabus for Warwickshire and Coventry schools was published in 2017. All documents are available to download below.
For copyright reasons, these documents are protected by a password that we are only allowed to share with Warwickshire and Coventry schools. If you represent a school in Warwickshire or Coventry and would like to access these documents, please use the form below to request the password.
Agreed Syllabus 2017-2022 (password protected)
- KS1 – What can we learn from the life of the Buddha? (PDF, 205.22 KB)
- KS2 – What does it mean to be a Buddhist in Britain today? (PDF, 211.58 KB)
- KS3 – Does Hinduism help people to be good? (PDF, 201.1 KB)
- KS3 – Reconciliation, forgiveness and loving one’s enemies (PDF, 284.94 KB)
- KS3 – What does Hinduism teach about the nature of God and ways to show devotion to God? (PDF, 281.98 KB)
- KS3 – What does Hinduism teach about the nature of God? Appendix (PDF, 218.95 KB)
- Unit 1.4 – Who is a Muslim? (PDF, 746.86 KB)
- Unit 1.9 – Who is a Hindu and how do they live? (PDF, 538.48 KB)
- Unit 1.10 – Who is a Sikh and how do they live? (PDF, 746.86 KB)
- Unit U2.9 – What does it mean to be a Sikh in Britain today? (PDF, 746.86 KB)
- Unit L2.4 – Why do people pray? (PDF, 636.53 KB)
- Unit U2.7 – Christians and Humanists (PDF, 508.34 KB)
- Coventry and Warwickshire RE Syllabus 2017 Launch Workbook (PDF) (PDF, 778.6 KB)
- Coventry and Warwickshire RE Syllabus 2017 Launch Workbook (Word doc)(DOCX, 2.43 MB)
- RE Blank Unit Planner 2017 (DOCX, 93 KB)
- Sample Long Term Plan (DOCX, 80.5 KB)
- Session 1 Cov Warks launch July 2017 (PPT, 1.24 MB)
Additional resources are available to support schools in implementing the Agreed Syllabus. Three extra primary units of work will be available free for all schools in September.
In addition to this, RE Today have developed a Scheme of Work for all the key questions, to exemplify excellent teaching and learning and support schools in their classroom practice. If schools wish to order this scheme of work or receive the extra free primary units, please complete the order form below and return it to email@example.com.
The documents in this section are under review, to be updated in September 2017.
- Subject audit pro forma (DOC, 58.5 KB)
- Dealing with sensitive issues – guidance for schools (PDF, 442.24 KB)
- Warwickshire SACRE Guidance on school visits for members of faith communities (DOCX, 38.08 KB)
- Faith Contacts in Warwickshire (PDF, 186.26 KB)
- Useful Websites for Religious Education (DOC, 74 KB)