Planning enforcement is a discretionary function of all planning authorities. The National Planning Policy Framework 2018 states:
Enforcement action is discretionary, and local planning authorities should act proportionately in responding to suspected breaches of planning control.
We are both the minerals planning authority and waste planning authority, with responsibility for planning issues deemed to be ‘county matters' that fall within Warwickshire. This includes both the processing of planning applications and planning enforcement investigations.
'County matters' are primarily defined within schedule 1 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 as being, amongst other things, those associated with mineral working and related development, and waste management and disposal developments.
If you are seeking information on planning matters outside of the above definition, you should speak to your district or borough council.
Reporting a breach of planning control
If you suspect a breach of planning control falling within the remit of the county council (see above) is taking place, you can report to us using the contact details below.
You will need to provide the following information:
- address or location of the breach. Please be as specific as possible
- the nature of the breach. Please provide as much information as you can. If you believe that a condition is being breached, you must specify the relevant planning permission and condition number
- your name and contact address/email address/telephone number. The council will not investigate anonymous complaints
- any other useful information. This could include history, the involvement of other agencies or other interested parties that it would be helpful for officers to know
Your details will be treated on a confidential basis, (subject to complying with the requirements of the Freedom of Information Act, the Data Protection Act 2018 and the Environmental Information Regulations 2004) unless you give express authorisation for disclosure of your details.
You can read our full privacy notice at warwickshire.gov.uk/privacy
You can contact us in the following ways:
- email to [email protected]
- telephone 01926 412193
- writing to Development Group, Warwickshire County Council, PO Box 43, Shire Hall, Warwick, CV34 4SX.