Warwickshire Trading Standards latest scams, rogue traders and frauds alert
Warwickshire Trading Standards is warning residents to beware of Census scam text messages.
Residents have reported receiving a text message that states that the recipient made a mistake on their form and will have to pay a £200 fine. They are then directed to a bogus Census website.
Residents MUST NOT respond to these text messages, that may also appear as emails.
- At no point will you be asked for your national insurance number, passwords, bank account details, or your credit or debit card numbers, nor any payment
- You will not receive any payment for completing the census, so any offers of money in exchange for your account details will be fraudulent
- You will not be called for information about the census unless you’ve made an appointment with the Census Contact Centre or made a query or complaint
- No-one will enter your home in relation to the census
- Help to fill out your form is free (for more information visit: https://census.gov.uk/ or phone 0800 141 2021)
- You can report a fraud direct to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or visit: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/