Occupational therapy

Do I need an occupational therapist (OT)?

Occupational therapists work with adults (people over 18 years, or if in full-time education, over 19 years) and older people, alongside other professionals. OTs will assist you as long as you are eligible. They can help if you are having difficulty with day-to-day tasks or if you might be at risk of harm, or at risk of losing your independence.

Occupational therapists are regulated by the Health Professions Council. The Health Professions Council holds a register of all those people who are eligible to practice.

How will they help me manage day-to-day tasks?

Firstly, they, or one of their team, will talk to you to get full information about your needs. This may result in:

  • referring you to a more appropriate service;
  • giving you advice over the telephone;
  • arranging to visit you at home; or
  • a combination of these actions.

How will I benefit?

The occupational therapist or occupational therapy assistant will work with you to agree a plan of action that meets your needs. This may be through:

  • suggesting alternative ways of completing a task;
  • loaning specialist equipment;
  • recommending minor building adaptations such as grab rails; or
  • recommending grant support for major adaptations to make your home more suitable for independent living.

For more information on major adaptations please visit the Warwickshire Accessible Housing (WAH) social network.

What if I am not an adult?

Occupational therapy services for children and young people are provided by your local health service through the Children’s Integrated Occupational Therapy Service. This service can be contacted via:

  • for people living in South Warwickshire on (01926) 495321 extension 4672;
  • for people living in North Warwickshire or Rugby on 02476 390013.

How can I find out about becoming an occupational therapist?

Go to the College of Occupational Therapists Website.

Occupational therapy was last updated on March 27, 2015.