Did you know?
- 900 accidental fires in the home are started every year in England from candles, and
- Around 100 fires in homes and buildings in England are started by fireworks every year.
So whether you’re celebrating Christmas, birthdays, or Diwali, dressing up for Halloween, or enjoying fireworks on bonfire night – make sure you do it safely.
You can stay safe by following the simple tips in this leaflet and by taking the precautions below:
- Always turn and fairy/Christmas tree lights off and remove the plug at night, and when the room is going to be unoccupied for a length of time.
- Ensure lights carry the British Safety Standard mark.
- Do not overload plug sockets.
- Ensure candles are in proper holders so they can’t fall over, and do not leave lit candles unattended for any length of time.
- Make sure open fires are well guarded and that wrapping paper, decorations etc., are kept well away.
- Make sure smokers extinguish their cigarettes completely.
- Take extra care after drinking alcohol.
- Push the button, not your luck – Check your smoke alarms are working and don’t be tempted to use the batteries to power any Christmas presents.
- Make your plan. Get out alive – will everyone (including guests) know where your door and window keys are kept?
- Don’t be distracted when cooking – fire starts when your attention stops.