- Books on Prescription (BOP) helps people to understand and manage their health and wellbeing through recommended, high quality self-help books, audio CDS and eBooks.
- BOP aims to help with a range of commonly experienced mental health issues, such as depression, anxiety and stress. There is also a separate collection for those with dementia and their carers and relatives.
- All of the BOP titles are recommended by health professionals including GPs.
- Warwickshire County Council also offers Sorted! And Mini Sorted! – collections of books aimed at children and young people and their families, which aim to support mental health and wellbeing.
BOP Mental Health books, CDs and e-books
BOP mental health has over 40 recommended titles to help people to understand and manage their health and wellbeing. There are books, CDs and e-books to help with a range of commonly experienced mental health issues, such as depression, anxiety, low mood and stress.
View and request the resources in our Library Catalogue – Books on Prescription.
BOP Dementia books and e-books
BOP dementia has 25 recommended titles for people who have dementia, are caring for someone with dementia or want to find out more information about dementia.
There are four categories: Information and Advice, Living Well with Dementia, Support for Relatives and Carers, and Personal Stories.
View and request the titles in our Library Catalogue – Books on Prescription.
Borrowing the resources
The books and audio CDs are available to borrow from 18 Warwickshire County Council (WCC) managed libraries and can be requested from our library catalogue – Books on Prescription. However, the books and audio CDs can also be borrowed from any Warwickshire library through our book request service (this may take up to two weeks). Please ask at any Warwickshire library for details.
More information on Warwickshire County Council libraries please visit the find a library page.
Books and CDs can be borrowed, free of charge for three weeks and can be renewed if no-one is waiting for them. E-Book versions of some titles are also available for three weeks for free. Please see sections above for further details.
Books and audio CDs can be viewed (but not borrowed) at all of the Wellbeing for Warwickshire services.
GPs and health professionals can also ‘prescribe’ titles in the collection – please see section below.
The prescription service
Warwickshire health and social care professionals can prescribe the BOP service, a group of books (e.g. on anxiety) or specific books by downloading and using the forms below:BOP mental health prescription form (PDF, 491 KB)
If you would like to know more or be prescribed a BOP book, please ask your health and social care professional:
- You can be given a book ‘prescription’ by your health or social care professional.
- Take the prescription form to your local library, where staff will help you find the book, eBook or audio CD (details of local libraries can be found in the ‘Borrowing the Books’ section above).
- If you are not already a member of the library, you can join immediately, using the prescription form as identification to enable you to borrow the books.
- Books and audio CDs are issued for 3 weeks and can be renewed if no-one is waiting for them.
- The recommended books are available for anyone to borrow. You do not need a prescription.
Other services and support
Local services and support
- Five Ways to Wellbeing in Warwickshire
- Mental Health and Wellbeing Services and Support
- Warwickshire’s Living Well with Dementia website
National services and support
- NHS Choices – health and wellbeing website. Includes information about conditions, treatments and living a healthy lifestyle.
- Rethink – information about mental health illnesses and disorders, together with useful information about everyday living with a mental illness.
- Mind – comprehensive coverage of mental health topics, including anger management, bereavement, depression, eating disorders, panic attacks, sleep problems and stress.
- Mental Health Foundation – comprehensive A-Z of mental health issues.
Warwickshire BOP was developed by Warwickshire County Council Library and Information Service and Warwickshire County Council Public Health, in partnership with IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies), Adult Mental Health Services and Warwickshire’s community and voluntary sector.
Warwickshire BOP is part of Reading Well Books on Prescription, delivered by the Reading Agency in partnership with the Society of Chief Librarians, with funding from the Arts Council.