Register a birth

Book an appointment to register a birth
You can book your appointment online. However, if any of the following apply, please phone us instead – 0300 555 0255:

  • still births;
  • multiple births – eg twins, triplets;
  • your baby was born more than 42 days ago;
  • you are not the baby’s mother or father.

Alternatively, phone 0300 555 0255 to book an appointment or if you require further information.

Your baby’s birth must be registered within 42 days of the date of birth.

Where can I register the birth?

If your baby was born in Warwickshire, the birth can be registered in any one of our registration offices.

If you live outside of Warwickshire or your baby was born outside Warwickshire, you may make a declaration of birth at your most convenient office. The details will be sent to the appropriate district and the birth certificate posted to you. Please telephone us if you require further information.

Who can register the birth?

If you are married, either parent can register the birth. If you are not married and the father’s details are to be included in the birth entry then you must attend together.

Information you will need to bring

  • the date and place of your baby’s birth
  • your baby’s full names and surname
  • parents’ full names and surnames
  • parents’ addresses
  • place and date of parents’ birth
  • parents’ occupations
  • date of parents’ marriage or civil partnership if applicable
  • mother’s maiden name if applicable


A short birth certificate is issued free of charge. A full birth certificate is needed for a passport for your baby. At the time of registration the cost of this certificate will be £4.00. Certificates issued after the registration from an entry in a current register will be £7.00 and certificates from completed registers will be £10.00.

Changes to a birth entry

Including the father’s details

If you were not married to each other when your baby was born and the natural father’s details were not included in the birth entry, it is possible to re-register the birth to include these details and change the surname of the child. A form will need to be completed and you will both need to make an appointment at your nearest registration office. Please telephone us if you require further information.

If you have married since registering your baby’s birth

If you have married each other since your baby’s birth was registered, the birth should be re-registered to accurately record the current legal status of the child. A form will need to be completed and either parent will need to make an appointment at your nearest registration office. Please telephone us if you require further information

Tell us once

When you have had a new baby, there are lots of things that need to be done. One of these things is contacting the government departments and local council services that need to be told about the birth.

We provide an additional service which we hope will make things easier for you. This service means that you can just tell the Registration Service and we will contact the other government organisations on your behalf.

How the service can help you.

When you register a birth with the Registrar, they can let the other government organisations know about the birth on your behalf, so that you do not have to repeat information to other government organisations.

How you can contact us to use the service.

When you have an appointment with the Registrar to register the birth of your baby, you can extend this appointment time and take up the Tell Us Once service. This means that the Registrar can send your information to the other government organisations that need to know about the birth.

The contact number to book your birth registration appointment is 0300 555 0255. Lines are open 8am – 6.30 Monday to Friday and 9am – 1pm on Saturday.

What information do you need to bring with you?

In order to take up the Tell Us Once service on the day that you register the birth with the Registrar, you will need to bring some additional information with you.

  • A completed claim form for Child Benefit (if you are making a claim);
  • The National Insurance number/s and/or date of birth, address or telephone number of the parents named on the birth register;
  • Details of any benefits the parent/s named on the birth register are receiving or have applied for;

You will need permission from these people to tell us about them before you use the service.

What happens to the information?

If you decide to use this service we will be able to tell the following organisations on your behalf:

  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
  • Jobcentre Plus
  • Housing Benefit Office
  • Council Tax Benefit Office
  • Library Services
  • Children’s Services (Family Information Services)
  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
  • Child Benefit

What happens to the information?

The information you give will be treated securely and confidentially. The organisations who are contacted will use the information to update their records.

The service is committed to ensuring that your information is protected.

Access to personal information and the Data Protection Act – more information

Please remember that it is your responsibility to ensure that all organisations that pay you a benefit/credit, or provide a service to you have correct and up to date information about you.

> Back to top