There is a consistent, county wide approach to managing Unauthorised Encampments within Warwickshire. This approach aims to ensure that the local communities and the travelling communities are treated fairly.
An unauthorised encampment is a site where Gypsy and Traveller, or other unauthorised campers, camp on land they do not own and do not have permission to use.
Unauthorised encampment in my area
Existing unauthorised encampments
If you provide contact details on the form, we’ll keep you informed of progress.
We will need to identify the owner of the land.
If an unauthorised encampment is on County or Highway land, one of our officers would go out to visit the encampment to obtain some basic information before further action is taken.
Based on the information given by the Gypsy and Traveller a decision will be made as to whether the encampment should be allowed to remain for an agreed period and whether to take legal action.
Unauthorised encampments will not be tolerated where:
- The occupants are known to have previously disregarded the site rules within the county;
- The encampment is creating a hazard to road safety;
- There is a danger to public or personal safety or the environment;
- The encampment is creating an intolerable impact on the employment, use or habitation of adjoining or nearby property;
- The encampment is too large for its location;
- The land is needed for use by the Lead Authority or the general public;
- There has been advice from the Police which suggests that alleged criminal activity is taking place.