Rights of way and paths

  • Advice on using rights of way

    Advice on being prepared for your visit to the countryside and what routes can be used by walkers, cyclists, horse riders and drivers.

  • Animals on public rights or way

    Advice regarding animals kept on land crossed by a public right of way, such as bulls, dogs or horses.

  • Changes to rights of way

    Changes to public rights of way can only be made by legal order. Current orders can be viewed online. Applications can be made to the Rights of Way team to change (create, divert or extinguish) a public right of way on land you own or manage. You can also make a ‘claim’ to add a new path, delete an existing path, or upgrade/downgrade a path (e.g. change a footpath to a bridleway).

  • Countryside publications

    Browse our publications for walks and cycling routes, available to buy at our country parks.

  • Disabled Access

    Warwickshire increasingly offers countryside recreation opportunities for all. Our Country Parks have surfaced and signed access trails and mobility scooters are available to hire. In the wider countryside there are lots of ‘stile free’ walks and guided trails.

  • Countryside rights of way

    Warwickshire has over 1700 miles of public footpaths and bridleways as well as many hundreds of miles of quiet roads, canal towpaths and land managed for public access. Discover more about your rights, walks and trails, volunteering and lots more.

  • E roads and unclassified county roads

    The term ‘E Road’ is generally used by Warwickshire County Council to describe an Unclassified County Road (UCR) that does not have a tarmac surface. Tarmac surfaced UCRs are generally known as ‘D Roads’. The surface of E Roads may be stoned, grassy or a combination of both.

  • Landowners guide to public rights of way

    If you have a Public Right of Way that crosses your land then the information on this page will help to explain your duties and responsibilities. You will also find advice on which paths you can and cannot plough, how you must restore a path if you do plough it and the minimum width requirement of each type of Right of Way.

  • Paths and trails

    Information about the wealth of marked trails available in Warwickshire and the different types of waymarker which show you the status of a right of way (e.g. footpath, bridleway or byway).

  • Planning and public rights of way

    Public Rights of Way are public highways and are protected by law in exactly the same manner as any other public highway such as a High Street or dual carriageway.

  • Property searches – public rights of way

    When buying land or property, it is normal to carry out a search of the highway records in the vicinity of the land or property.

  • Rights of way leaflets and documents

    Information leaflets and legal orders for Rights of way in Warwickshire.

    • Rights of way and paths was last updated on May 31, 2013.