When are we doing this?
The changes to lighting will be happening across the County starting on 1st December 2012. The changes will be happening in District/Borough areas on the following dates –
- 1st December 2012 – Warwick
- 1st February 2013 – Nuneaton and Bedworth
- 1st February 2013 – Rugby
- 1st April 2013 – Stratford
- 1st April 2013 – North Warwickshire
Why are we doing this?
To save money
The Council currently spend approximately £2.2 million on electricity for street lighting. It is anticipated that operating the lights on a part night basis will save approximately £500,000.
Reduce carbon emissions
It is estimated that we will reduce Warwickshire County Council’s carbon emissions by 3,000 tonnes.
Reduce light pollution
In addition to saving money and reducing carbon emissions, ‘sky glow’ or light pollution will be significantly reduced.
Not all street lights will be affected by the changes. After consultation with the Police, Road Safety and Community Safety certain locations have been identified where we will not be operating part night lighting, these are:
- Where there are potential hazards on the highway such as roundabouts, traffic signal controlled junctions, central carriageway islands, traffic calming features, road humps etc.
- At formal pedestrian crossings (Zebra, Pelican, Puffin, Toucan and Pegasus).
- Areas covered by permanent Local Authority/Police CCTV cameras.
- Areas adjacent to elderly people care homes, sheltered accommodation complex’s and A&E departments.
- Lighting adjacent to operational taxi ranks.
- Lighting on public footpaths, alleyways and cycle paths which are located away from roads.
Parish, town, district or borough council owned lighting will not be affected by Warwickshire County Council’s changes.
Communities Overview & Scrutiny Committee Review
The Communities Overview and Scrutiny Committee has carried out a review of the street lighting energy saving project. The review was carried out by a cross party County Councillor Task and Finish Group who looked at all aspects of the project which included feedback from the Public Engagement. The report and recommendations (pdf, 585kb) are to be considered by the Overview and Scrutiny Committee on the 19th September 2012.
To see which lights we are changing to operate on a part-night basis, please look at the PDFs below: