Apply to become a licenced venue

Are you the owner or manager of a hotel, stately home or other sought after venue? Have you considered licensing your venue to host civil marriage and other celebratory ceremonies? You can increase your business opportunities if you apply to become a licensed venue.

You could host all the civil ceremonies that we currently offer up to 7pm on the day if you apply, such as:

  • marriages
  • civil partnerships
  • citizenships
  • renewal of vows
  • naming ceremonies

Initial assessments for new venues

We offer a preliminary visit to your venue if you have not had a civil ceremony licence before. This will help to assess the suitability of your venue and discuss the process before an application is made.

There is a non-refundable fee of £100 for the initial assessment. The initial fee will be treated as a deposit and deducted from the £1900 licence fee if you then apply for a licence.

To arrange an initial assessment please email or call 01926 413725.

Eligibility criteria

We must approve your premises in order for you to hold a civil ceremony in Warwickshire.

You must be the proprietor or a trustee of the premises to apply for permission to hold civil ceremonies.

The venue must:

  • be a permanent structure which fully satisfies planning, health, safety and fire regulations for public use
  • have a suitable public current use with no current connection with any religion, religious practice or persuasion
  • be dignified and seemly to be capable of accommodating marriage parties and have a room for ceremonies that can be separated from other activities
  • be available for regular use for ceremonies and have suitable arrangements for the safety of guests and staff

Warwickshire County Council (WCC) reserves the right to add any special conditions at any stage throughout the approval process.

Approved Premises Terms and Conditions 2017 (DOC, 124 KB)

How to apply

You can apply online for a venue licence. You will be able to submit supporting documents and pay the fee online.

How long will the process take?

The process can take approximately three to six months, sometimes longer subject to objections.

Once you have submitted your application the licensing team will liaise with the:

  • fire and rescue service to ensure fire safety arrangements and maximum occupancy figures are satisfactory
  • planning authority to ensure any planning requirements are satisfied
  • environmental health authority to ensure any safety issues are satisfied

A public notice will be displayed advising that your premises is seeking approval. The notice offers the opportunity to:

  • object to the granting of a licence
  • allow a 21 day objection period
  • investigate any objection raised

Your application must be processed and approved before it can be granted. Licences are not automatically granted.

What you will receive if your licence is successful

When your licence has been granted you will receive:

  • a Warwickshire Registration Service Certificate of Approval for you to display at your venue
  • professionally trained registration officers to conduct and register the marriage, and ensure the ceremony runs smoothly
  • promotion of your venue and links to your website from our website

Renewing your licence

You will be contacted 12 months before the expiry of your premises licence if you have an exisisting licence. You can apply online to renew your licence.

Change of circumstances

Please contact us if there are any changes to your circumstances that may affect your licence, including updating your responsible persons listed on your approval certificate.

You can email or call 01926 413725 to let us know your changes.

Complaints from applicants and licence holders

You have the right to seek a review of our implemented conditions, refusal to renew or revoking your approval.

Complaints about licence holders

In the event of a complaint the first contact should be made with the trader by you, preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, and you are located in the UK, Advice guide link will give you advice. If you’re located outside of the UK you will need to contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

You must give us notice within 21 days of the application appearing in the local newspaper, if you wish to object to an application for premises approval.

If you have a complaint, please email

Approved venue licensing applications

Current applications: