Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) – Travel assistance for people aged 16-25

The deadline to renew for the summer term is Thursday 29th March 2018.

To qualify for travel assistance, you must:

  • be resident in Warwickshire on 31st August before your course begins;
  • be aged over 16-25 at the start of your course.
  • have a maintained EHC Plan or provide proof of learning difficulties or disabilities;
  • be attending a full time course;
  • attend the nearest qualifying school or college;
  • be unable to travel to school/college unless transport is provided;
  • pay the parental contribution towards transport.

*(A student’s nearest qualifying school is the nearest establishment that can provide education appropriate to the students’ age, ability, and aptitude, whilst taking into account any special educational needs that they have. It will normally be the school in whose priority area the pupil resides (their ‘catchment school’), unless otherwise stated by SENDAR)

The following charges apply;

Please note that the following prices are subject to change each year in line with the Council’s inflation rate.

For the 2017/18 Academic Year

For those who pay full rate:

  • £765 Annual
  • £285 Autumn
  • £285 Spring
  • £195 Summer
  • £95.63 Standing Order Monthly

For those who pay the reduced* rate:

  • £382.50 Annual
  • £142.50 Autumn
  • £142.50 Spring
  • £97.50 Summer
  • £47.81 Standing Order Monthly

*Students or families in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits listed below are considered to have a low income and will qualify for the reduced rate;

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
  • The Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
  • The Maximum Level of Working Tax Credit
  • Employment and Support Allowance (Income-related)
  • Child Tax Credit (below the relevant threshold of £16,190)
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

Payment can be made by cheque, credit/debit card or by Standing Order. is also available for payment of the annual charge.

Please note:

Since September 2010, students who start a course while under the age of 25 will only receive assistance up until the end of the academic year in which their 25th birthday falls. Students continuing on a course which started before September 2010 and who are over the age of 25 will continue to receive support.

Transport is procured for the start/end of the school day, however reasonable adjustments can be made to provide transport which accommodates student’s individual timetables in exceptional circumstances. However, when considered necessary and reasonable, students may be required to wait at college at the beginning or end of the day. We will seek advice from relevant professionals if there is any dispute over the nature of transport requested / required.

We encourage young people to travel independently. Travel Allowances are available instead of council transport to help students travel to school independently. We also offer travel allowances when a parent would prefer to transport their child to college. For more information, please contact us using the details on the right.

Concessionary Travel and Blue Badges

Some assistance may also be available outside of travel to an education setting.

Many children over the age of 5 and young people with special needs or disabilities are entitled to a concessionary bus pass for public transport. Visit our concessionary travel page for more information.

A child or young person may also be eligible for a disabled parking badge – Blue Badges

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) – Travel assistance for people aged 16-25 was last updated on March 13, 2018.