Planning enforcement

Planning enforcement is a discretionary function of all planning authorities.  The National Planning Policy Framework 2012 states

Enforcement action is discretionary, and local planning authorities should act proportionately in responding to suspected breaches of planning control

Warwickshire County Council is both the Minerals Planning Authority and Waste Planning Authority, with responsibility for planning issues deemed to be ‘county matters’ that fall within Warwickshire.  This includes both processing of planning applications and planning enforcement investigations.

‘County Matters’ are primarily defined within Schedule 1 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 as being, amongst other things, those associated with mineral working and related development, and waste management and disposal developments.

If you are seeking information on planning matters outside of the above definition you should speak to your District or Borough Council.

Reporting a breach of planning control

If you suspect a breach of planning control is taking place you can report to WCC using the contact details below.

You will need to provide the following information:

  • Address or location of the breach.  Please be as specific as possible.
  • The nature of the breach.  Please provide as much information as you can.  If you believe that a condition is being breached if you must specify the relevant planning permission and condition number.
  • Your name and contact address/email address/telephone number.  The Council will not investigate anonymous complaints.
  • Any other useful information.  This could include history, involvement of other agencies or other interested parties that it would be helpful for officers to know.

Your details will be treated on a confidential basis, (subject to complying with the requirements of The Freedom of Information Act, The Data Protection Act 1998 and the Environmental Information Regulations 2004) unless the you give express authorisation for disclosure of your details

You can contact us in the following ways: