Petrol storage licenses

Apply for a petrol storage licence

You must obtain a petroleum storage certificate from us:

  • To run a business where petrol is stored for dispensing directly into the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine
  • Where large amounts of petrol are stored for private use.

You must pay an annual fee which is calculated according to the maximum litreage of petrol stored at the site. You can choose to pay for up to ten years in advance.

Applying for this licence does not automatically mean that it will be granted to you.

Apply for a licence to store petroleum

We aim to acknowledge receipt of applications within five working days and will inform you of progress at regular intervals.

The time it takes to process your application will depend on:

  • the size and nature of your business
  • areas to be addressed

Please contact us using the details shown if you have not heard from us within seven days of your application being submitted.

Requesting information and advice

Additional advice and information can be obtained by completing a petroleum spirit storage information request online. Alternatively:

  • The owner of a site can request a record search for any information regarding decommissioned tanks on it by phoning 01926 414040
  • Consumers or businesses requiring general advice can phone 03454 040506.

Our office hours are:

  • Monday to Thursday 9.00am to 5.30pm
  • Friday 9.00am to 4.30pm

Tell us about a change to your existing licence

To tell us about a change to your existing petrol storage licence please contact us:

Trading Standards Service
Warwickshire County Council
Old Budbrooke Road
CV35 7DP

Telephone: 01926 414040

Petrol storage licence complaints

  • Failed application redress: Please contact us in the first instance using the address above. If an application is refused you may appeal to the Secretary of State.
  • Consumer complaints: We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you – preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Adviceguide will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre. Trade associations Petrol Retailers Association (PRA).