Help with pensions problems

If you are in any doubt about your benefit entitlements, or have a problem or question about your Local Government Pension Scheme membership or benefits please contact the Pensions Section. They will endeavour to clarify or rectify any misunderstandings or inaccuracies as quickly and efficiently as possible.

If you are still dissatisfied with any decision made in relation to the scheme you have the right to have your complaint independently reviewed under the Internal Resolution Procedure and, as the scheme is well regulated, there are also a number of other regulatory bodies that may be able to assist you.

Internal Disputes Resolution procedure

In the first instance you should write to the person nominated by the body who made the decision about which you wish to appeal. You must do this within six months of the date of the notification of the decision about which you are complaining.

The nominated person will consider your complaint and notify you of his/her decision. If you are dissatisfied with that person’s decision, you may, within six months of the date of the decision, apply to your administering authority to have it re-considered.

Pensions Internal Dispute Resolution Procedures (pdf, 133 Kb)

To avoid unnecessary effort on your part, please let us try to resolve the matter before you resort to a formal complaint.

The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS)

TPAS is available at any time to assist members and beneficiaries of the Scheme in connection with any pensions query that they may have or any difficulty which they cannot resolve with their scheme administrators.

TPAS can be contacted at:

The Pensions Advisory Service
11 Belgrave Road
London SW1V 1RB
Telephone: 0845 601 2923


Pensions Ombudsman

In cases where a complaint or dispute cannot be resolved after the intervention of TPAS an application can be made, within three years of the event, to the Pensions Ombudsman for an adjudication. The Ombudsman can investigate and determine any complaint or dispute involving maladministration of the Scheme or matters of fact or law and his or her decision is final and binding. Matters where legal proceedings have already started cannot be investigated. The Pensions Ombudsman can be contacted at:

11 Belgrave Road
Telephone: 0207 834 9144


Pensions Regulator

The Pensions Regulator has powers to protect members of work based pensions schemes and a wide range of powers to help put matters right, where needed.

In extreme cases, the regulator is able to fine trustees or employers, and remove trustees from a scheme. You can contact the Pensions Regulator at:

Napier House
Trafalgar Place
East Sussex
Telephone: 0870 606 3636


Tracing Pension Rights

The Pension Scheme Registry holds details of pension schemes, including the Local Government Pension Scheme, together with relevant contact addresses. The purpose is to provide a tracing service for ex-members of schemes with pension entitlements (and their dependants), who have lost touch with previous employers.

All occupational and personal pension schemes have to register if the pension scheme has current members contributing into their scheme or people expecting benefits from the scheme. If you need to use this tracing service please write to:

The Pensions Tracing Service
The Pension Service
Tyneview Park
Whitley Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1BA

Telephone: 0845 600 2537

Web: – find a lost pension

Help with pensions problems was last updated on October 24, 2016.