Parents and guardians


  • Search for local organisations, groups and agencies near you

    Information about local organisations, groups and agencies that provide activities, advice, services and support for you.

  • Become a school governor

    School Governors are the most important volunteers in education. They have a key role to play in making sure all pupils at a school receive the highest standard of education possible and are able to achieve their full potential.

  • Children, schools and families – library services

    Joining the library is free and children can join at any age. A parent or guardian must give signed permission for under 16s.

  • Child employment

    All school age children who work part-time must be registered with us. It is the responsibility of the employer to register all school age children working for them, and to carry out a risk assessment.

  • Children’s centres

    Information on the 41 children’s centres and nurseries operated by us.

  • Children in entertainment

    A child performance licence must be obtained if a child under compulsory school leaving age performs in theatre, modelling, sport and in licensed premises.

  • Copy birth certificates

    Order copies of birth certificates online, covering recent births or for historic research. Alternatively, you can order by post or in person.

  • Employment rights for working parents

    If you are expecting a child or you already have children, this page will provide you with up to date advice and support on your rights as a working parent.

  • Family Information Service

    The Family Information Service (FIS) is for Warwickshire families with children and young people aged between 0 and 25 years of age. We also provide information for professionals working with Warwickshire children, young people and families.

  • Help with money and debt

    The cost of bringing up a family can be a real worry for some parents. This page provides advice on the range of financial support you may be able to claim which could make a real difference to your family as well as advice on money management and dealing with debt.

  • Financial legal advice

    The services and organisations listed below can provide families with independent legal information and advice.

  • Find a school

    Find the location and contact details for schools, nurseries, special schools and colleges.

  • Free school meals

    If you have children up to the age of 19 years in full-time education at a Warwickshire maintained school or nursery you may be entitled to claim free school meals, providing you receive a qualifying benefit.

  • Music tuition and instruments

    Help and advice for parents interested in arranging music tuition for their children, including information on instrument hire.

  • Naming ceremonies

    Naming ceremonies are not only for young babies, but may also be a celebration for older, adoptive and stepchildren, welcoming them into a new relationship with their new family unit and community.

  • Parenting support

    Help and support for new parents, mums, dads, lone parents and more, with lists of available programmes and contact details of your local Parent Support Adviser.

  • Registering a birth

    Your baby’s birth must be registered within 42 days of the date of birth. Find information on how to register your baby’s birth in Warwickshire.

  • Road safety advice for parents

    From the moment you know you are pregnant, the time is right to start thinking about road safety.

  • School attendance

    Information for parents on school attendance and absences.

  • School closures

    There are a number of ways for parents to find out if their child’s school will be closed. This page gives more details on currently closed schools, along with details on how you can sign up for the council’s text and email alerts, tune in to your local radio station or follow Twitter for the latest information.

  • School complaints

    From time to time, disagreements can arise between parents and schools. Find out about how to voice concerns and complaints against schools.

  • School exclusions

    Exclusion is a very serious matter. This page gives more information on the types of exclusion.

  • School holiday and term dates

    School holiday and term dates, including teacher training days.

  • School meals

    What children eat is an important part of their learning experience; health and progress stem from their eating habits which are established in their formative years at primary school.

  • School place applications and changing schools

    Apply for a place at primary and secondary schools, and information on how to transfer your child between schools.

  • School place appeals

    If you are unsuccessful with you school admission process, you can appeal the decision.

  • Transport assistance for students aged 16 – 19

    If you currently receive transport assistance to a school sixth from or college, and you will be starting your second or third year in September 2010, you can still apply for subsidised travel.

  • Transport assistance for students under 16

    If you would like to apply for help with transport assistance you must meet the following criteria and then complete an application form.

  • Transport for Special Education Needs

    Information on the eligibility for Special Education Needs transport help in Warwickshire.

  • Transport for students on medical grounds

    Details on the eligibility criteria for this type of transport, and a downloadable application form.

  • Vacant seat scheme

    If spare places still exist on school buses after entitled students have been accommodated, places may be offered to students not eligible for free school transport.