If you would like to get married abroad and you are both British citizens you may still need to give notice of marriage in the district where you live. You must check with the individual country’s requirements.

If you need a ‘certificate of no impediment’ you will need to make an appointment at the local register office in the district where you live. The marriage notice is displayed for 28 clear days so keep this in mind before booking your ceremony date. You will need to provide the registrar with the name of the town or location where the wedding is to take place, as well as the country.

Although there is no expiry date some countries do not accept certificates if they are dated more than three months before the wedding. To ensure your day runs smoothly, check the relevant embassy to confirm their requirements.

Contact your local register office

Email: warwickro@warwickshire.gov.uk