Having a safe home is something we all need but sometimes we can experience housing difficulties that cause a lot of stress and make it difficult to enjoy family life. The following is a range of information to help with different housing problems you may experience, from paying your council tax to homelessness. We hope this helps you find information on your rights and responsibilities and where you can go for help and support.

Housing advice

Council housing services and housing benefits

These are the responsibility of your local borough or district council. See the Housing page for a list of local boroughs and councils.

Citizens advice

Citizens advice provides a whole range of information on housing issues from general housing advice, renting, mortgage arrears to homelessness support.


See the Shelter website for information, advice and support on a whole range of housing issues.

Advice Now

Advice Now offers information on a range of housing issues, from your rights in rented accommodation, buying or selling your house, benefits, overcrowding and emergency accommodation to problems with neighbours


Housing related support

Housing related support promotes independent living. Support is offered to people aged 16 and over who need help to stay in their present accommodation or to find suitable accommodation.

Healthwatch Warwickshire Rights to Access Project

Healthwatch Warwickshire Rights to Access Project helps people who are experiencing homelessness to get healthcare when they need it. They have produced a plastic Rights to Access card for people to keep with them and show at a GP surgery if they need treatment for urgent medical care.

Hope 4

The Hope 4 charity helps homeless, badly housed and hungry people in Rugby. They provide:

  • the Hope Centre to give people food, warmth, laundry and showers
  • a Winter Night Shelter from December through to the end of March
  • the Rugby Foodbank so that local people can have emergency food packages

They are based at the Hope Centre, 8 Newbold Road, Rugby CV21 2LJ

More information

Living in temporary accommodation: a parents’ survival guide

Living in temporary accommodation: a parents’ survival guide - a downloadable resource from Anna Freud national centre for children and families.

Orbit Better Days

Orbit Better Days provides mental wellbeing and support service for Orbit customers.

Breathing Space

Breathing Space provides mental health support from Springfield Mind for Orbit customers

Heart – helping you live independently at home

Heart – helping you live independently at home is a partnership service between Warwickshire Councils providing advice and assistance on disabled adaptations and home improvements. Contact Heart North or Heart South depending on which area you live in.

Help to Live At Home

Help to Live At Home includes a whole range of pages from assistive technology, care and support plan, meals at home, recovery, care, housing support, OT, disability, etc.

Options if you can’t live at home

For options if you can’t live at home

Extra care

Extra care is a service offered to people over the page of 55 who may be thinking of moving or need to leave home due to life changes or health difficulties.