Petrol storage licence complaints

  • Failed application redress: Please contact us in the first instance using the address above. If an application is refused you may appeal to the Secretary of State.
  • Consumer complaints: We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you – preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Adviceguide will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre. Trade associations Petrol Retailers Association (PRA).