|Page 1||Energy and low carbon technologies|
|Page 2||Centres of excellence|
|Page 3||Original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) in Warwickshire|
Developing the clean air of the future
Coventry and Warwickshire is at the forefront of developing the clean air of the future. The area is a hotbed for the energy sector and is leading university and private sector research and development (R&D), from low carbon electric and hybrid powertrain technology to light-weighting, energy storage and sustainable building technologies.
You’re in good company
This is the leading vehicle development and powertrain centre in the UK, with a unique mix of knowledge, skills and associated supply chain. Jaguar Land Rover, Aston Martin and Geely London Taxi all have their global headquarters and R&D operations in the area. Changan, SAIC and Geely of China, and Tata and Ashok Leyland of India also have their European powertrain R&D operations close by.
Join the industry leaders
Market leaders National Grid, Eon, Calor Gas, Severn Trent Water and First Utility are all based here. They benefit from the central UK location, access to a wide range of skills and two leading research universities in the University of Warwick and Coventry University. The excellent road and rail links here support access to Kingsbury Fuel Depot, the largest inland fuel storage depot in the UK.
Investment and innovation
Coventry and Warwickshire is home to the following organisations:
The National Low Carbon Centre, Stoneleigh
A game-changing centre for low carbon innovation. With its own R&D facility, Stoneleigh offers business incubation, a living lab and showcases the latest low carbon and sustainable technologies.
The National Advanced Propulsion Centre (APC)
Based at the University of Warwick, APC represents a £1bn, 10 year investment from government and the private sector into developing the low carbon powertrain technologies of the future.
The National Automotive Innovation Campus (NAIC)
A £150m centre created in partnership with the UK Government, WMG, JLR and TATA Motors. NAIC brings together academics, engineers and students to develop new world green technologies and advanced energy storage solutions for the automotive industry.
Warwickshire Manufacturing Group (WMG)
Based at the University of Warwick, WMG collaborates with businesses to simplify the transfer of university research to industry.
Quinton Rail Technology Centre (QRTC)
Testing and development facilities for light and very light rail.
MIRA Technology Park
Testing and development facilities for automotive powertrain technologies.
Other noteworthy investments
Recent low carbon investments have included:
- Geely London Taxi’s £300m investment into a new manufacturing and engineering centre for a range of zero emissions vehicles at Ansty.
- JLR’s investments of up to £1bn into its engineering and design centres at Whitley and Gaydon.
- Detroit Electric’s new assembly facility in Leamington Spa for its zero emissions sports car.
Skills and training
Coventry and Warwickshire is well served by local colleges and universities. The area is at the forefront of university technical colleges (UTCs).
- 54,000 students studying at the University of Warwick and Coventry University. Both universities have strong links to advanced engineering.
- Over 100,000 graduates per year from 15 universities within a one hour drive of Coventry and Warwickshire.
- The WMG Academy for Young Engineers for 14-18-year olds is led by businesses and Warwick University.
- The MIRA Academy supports engineering skills for MIRA Technology Park staff with support from four local universities and colleges.
- Advanced Manufacturing Training Centre delivers training and experience on real-life projects – from apprenticeship programmes to executive level training.
- Institute for Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering – Unipart Manufacturing Group and Coventry University bring together the best in academia, industry and R&D in a ‘live’ manufacturing environment to develop industry-ready engineering graduates.
Location and transport links
In the centre of the UK, Coventry and Warwickshire is an enviable location for any business. With excellent transport links the area offers:
- Fast connection to London in an hour via rail
- Direct access to the UK’s motorway network (M6, M40, M42, M45, M69 and close to the M1 and M5)
- Easy access to worldwide destinations via Birmingham International Airport or the UK’s leader in air freight, East Midlands Airport
- Over 90% of properties have access to internationally competitive broadband
How we can help
Choosing a location for a new business or relocating an existing one can be daunting. In order to help, Coventry and Warwickshire offer the following free and confidential services:
- Commercial property searches and location advice
- Excellent local intelligence – from demographics to sector analysis
- Introductions to local networks and organisations
- Employment and skills development support
- Access to free and confidential advice and support via the Coventry and Warwickshire Growth Hub
- Helping your employees with information about housing, schools and leisure opportunities in the area