|Page 2||Rail innovation in Coventry and Warwickshire|
You’re in good company
Coventry and Warwickshire is home to many world leading companies such as Rolls Royce, Lisi Aerospace, Ricardo, Meggitt, Nasmyth, Arrowsmith, JJ Churchill and Powerkut.
The region is home to over one-quarter of the UK aerospace industry with over 45,000 full-time-equivalent jobs, due wholly to revenues from manufacturing for global aerospace markets.
In total, around 300 specialist companies contribute to global aerospace through the region’s supply chain.
Working together for business growth
Collaboration is key to success here in the region, where industry and education work together to open new markets. The following organisations are based in the area:
Coventry and Warwickshire Aerospace Forum (CWAF)
CWAF is a group of world-class manufacturing businesses working with leading UK universities and associations to bring together over 500 years of combined engineering knowledge and skills.
The Midlands Aerospace Alliance (MAA)
The MAA has over 250 members and its board includes senior managers from Aero Engine Controls, Meggitt, Moog Aircraft Group, Rolls-Royce and UTC Aerospace Systems as well as elected supply chain representatives and key regional partners.
The Coventry and Warwickshire Local Enterprise Partnership (CWLEP)
The CWLEP High Value Manufacturing Business Group, works to influence strategy and funding to support investment, supply chain collaboration and growth in high value manufacturing. The group includes a range of businesses and sector support organisations such as MIRA, SEMTA, MAS and connects to the Motorsport Industry Association (MIA) and the National Apprenticeship Scheme (NAS).
Ideas and innovation
Coventry and Warwickshire is at the forefront of research and development (R&D) and innovation in the advanced manufacturing sector, including automotive and aerospace. The area offers world-class engineering research and design facilities including:
- Serious Games International (SGI)
- Manufacturing Technology Centre (MTC)
- Warwick Manufacturing Group (WMG) Digital Lab
- International Institute for Product and Service Innovation (IIPSI)
- Coventry University’s Centre of Excellence for Product and Automotive Design (CEPAD)
Knowledge and skills
Coventry and Warwickshire is renowned for both its academic excellence and skilled workforce. With enviable education facilities, the region has a strong pipeline of world-class talent to draw upon. Home to the University of Warwick, consistently ranked in the UK’s top 10, this globally connected university has a strong tradition of working with business and industry. Additionally, Coventry University, a forward-looking, modern university with state of the art facilities, offers an excellent learning environment.
Both universities work collaboratively with local businesses to create the skill sets that businesses needs. Superb university provision along with an excellent network of local schools and further education colleges, means Coventry and Warwickshire fosters talent from a young age.
Location and transport links
In the centre of the UK, Coventry and Warwickshire is an enviable location for any business. With excellent transport links the area offers:
- Fast connection to London in an hour via rail
- Direct access to the UK’s motorway network (M6, M40, M42, M45, M69 and close to the M1 and M5)
- Easy access to worldwide destinations via Birmingham International Airport or the UK’s leader in air freight, East Midlands Airport
- Over 90% of properties have access to internationally competitive broadband.
How we can help
Choosing a location for a new business or relocating an existing one can be daunting. In order to help, Coventry and Warwickshire offer the following free and confidential services:
- Commercial property searches and location advice
- Excellent local intelligence – from demographics to sector analysis
- Introductions to local networks and organisations
- Employment and skills development support
- Access to free and confidential advice and support via the Coventry and Warwickshire Growth Hub
- Helping your employees with information about housing, schools and leisure opportunities in the area.