Mental Health Carer’s Service

Are you a partner, family member or friend who is providing care or support?

If so, you are entitled to have a Carer’s Assessment. You could be eligible for support in your own right.

What we do

The Specialist Carer Workers work within Warwickshire Country Council and NHS Mental Health Services to offer free and confidential support to partners, family members and close friends of individuals with mental health concerns.

Our role is to focus on the needs, health and wellbeing of carers to ensure they are supported with caring.

We provide:

  • Carers Assessments and Support Plans
  • One to one and telephone support
  • Support to find out more about mental health diagnosis and treatments including providing books on
  • Information, support and groups for dementia carers
  • Help finding employment, leisure, education and volunteering opportunities
  • A one off Direct Payment to assist with carer breaks or activities that will improve the carer’s health and wellbeing (depending on assessment)
  • Benefit guidance
  • Signposting to services
  • Carer events, workshops and information about carer groups
  • Information about young carers’ support.

Are you a carer?

A carer regularly provides unpaid physical, practical or emotional support to a friend, partner, family member or a neighbour.

Some people provide care because they feel they have a duty to because they love or care for that person and they may find it to be a rewarding experience. However, they may also find it has an impact on their own physical and emotional health and day‐to‐day life.

This is why support is available to help identify any needs you may have as a carer and provide necessary information and support.

How to refer into our service

If you are over the age of 18 and the person you care for has mental health concerns you are eligible for a Carer’s Assessment. Contact us to make a self–referral on 0845 155 1797 or request a referral from the service user’s care coordinator.

We aim to make initial contact within a week by telephone or letter – this may vary as we need triage referrals to determine urgency.

If the person you care for has a physical disability, serious illness, learning disability or is depend on drugs or alcohol, contact:

If you are a young carer (under 18) contact:

  • For a Carer’s Assessment call 01926 410 410
  • For carer support and carer groups call Warwickshire Young Carers’ Project on 02476 217740.

Mental Health Carer’s Service was last updated on October 12, 2016.