What is a notice of marriage / notice of civil partnership?

A notice of marriage / notice of civil partnership is a legal declaration which must be given individually by each of you in person.

A notice is venue specific and valid for 12 months from the date the notice is given, so before booking an appointment you need to have decided where and when you would like to get married or form your civil partnership and have made a provisional booking with the venue and / or local registration service.

If, after giving notice, you change the ceremony venue or the date is moved beyond 12 months from the date of your appointment, you must give a new notice and pay the fees again.

Your notice must be displayed publicly for 28 clear days before a marriage or civil partnership schedule can be issued. However, if one or both parties to the marriage / civil partnership is subject to immigration control, this legal wait period may be extended, by the Home Office, to 70 days. 

Please do ensure that you plan ahead as your marriage or civil partnership cannot take place if the legal preliminaries are not carried out in sufficient time to allow for the marriage or civil partnership schedule to be issued ahead of the ceremony date.

When and where can we give notice?

The requirements are different depending on your nationality. Please read the following information carefully.

If you are British, Irish or an EEA citizen with EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) status granted or applied for before 30 June 2021 you must:

  • each give your notice of marriage or civil partnership at the Register Office in the district where you have livedfor the nine days prior to the appointment. 
  • If you both live in the Warwickshire Registration District you can book a double appointment and attend together or can book single notice appointments and attend separately.

If one or both of you are a non-EEA national or an EEA citizen without EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) status:

  • One of you must have lived in the Warwickshire Registration District for the nine days immediately before giving notice.
  • You must book a double notice appointment and attend together.

What documents do we need to take to our notice appointment?

The documents required are prescribed by law and these requirements are slightly different depending on your nationality. 

All documents must be originals, we are unable to accept electronic documents. 

Please check the details below to ensure you bring the correct documentation as if anything is missing, expired, photocopied or on a mobile device, we won't be able to take your notice and you will need to book a new appointment and pay the appointment fee again.

Please see the relevant pages above, depending on your nationality, for details of the documents required for a notice appointment.

What happens after we've given notice?

Once you have successfully given notice and:

  • the legal wait period has passed;
  • any investigations by the Home Office have been carried out (if applicable);
  • any foreign divorce documentation has been cleared by the General Register Office (if applicable).

Then your marriage or civil partnership schedule will be issued which means that your legal ceremony can take place.

The schedule will be printed in the district where your ceremony is taking place and will either be retained by the Register Office, if the ceremony is taking place there or within a licenced venue within that district, or sent to the place of worship in advance of the ceremony date.

How do we book a notice appointment?

If you live within the Warwickshire registration district you can book your appointment by calling 0300 555 0255. 

Please ensure you have a credit or debit card to hand as payment will need to be made to secure your booking. 

What if we are getting married in a church or religious building?

If you are planning to marry in the Church of England or Church in Wales you must carry out the legal formalities by Banns or Common Licence (please check with your Church). However, where one or both of you are non-EEA or EEA nationals without EUSS status you will be required to give your notice of marriage together at a register office in a district of England or Wales where one or both of you has lived for the nine days immediately before the day the appointment takes place. 

If you wish to marry in any other denomination of faith one or both of you must live in the district where the place of worship is located. 

  • If you are both British, Irish or an EEA citizen with EUSS granted or applied for before 30 June 2021, you must give your notice in the district where you have lived for the nine days immediately before your appointment. 
  • If one or both of you are non-EEA or EEA nationals without EUSS status then you must book a double appointment in the district where one of you has lived for the nine days immediately before the appointment takes place.

If you do not live in the district where the place of worship is located then you must bring a letter from the place of worship, on official headed paper, confirming that this is the usual place of worship for one or both of you along with the documents needed to give notice. 

In the first instance you should check with the church or place of worship you wish to marry in to see if they are available for the date you are considering and to confirm what is required and also if a Registrar needs to be booked to attend the ceremony in order to register the marriage.


Fees are payable at the time of booking your appointment to give your Notice of Marriage or Notice of Civil Partnership. 

The statutory fee is £35 per person and it is £47 per person where the couple are subject to the Home Office referral and investigation scheme.

Changes to your passport

To ensure ease of travel to other countries, please check that the name on your passport reflects the name that appears on your marriage certificate. Check with your travel agent, airline or the country’s consulate if you’re in doubt. If you are going abroad, remember to book any travel tickets in the name you will have in your passport at the time of travelling.

When you can change it?

You can apply for a passport in your new name up to three months before your marriage or civil partnership ceremony. Your old passport will be cancelled. Your new passport is ‘post-dated’ - you cannot use it before the ceremony.

How to change it

How to change your passport in time

Application forms are available online at gov.uk. You will need to complete a PD2 form, which can be done once you have given your legal notice of marriage. You must send the passports for newlyweds and civil partners form with your application. It must be signed by the religious minister or registrar who will conduct the ceremony. This should then be sent to the passport office, together with the application for a passport or amendment to your passport.