What is a Family Group Conference (FGC)?
Family group conference is a service available to those currently being supported by Warwickshire County Council Children and Families.
Click on the link below to watch a video explaining about family group conferencing.
Part 1- Information sharing
- It is led by the FGC coordinator
- The person who made the FGC request will talk about what is going well, their concerns and how they can offer support to the family
- Other agencies will then share their offer of support
- Questions will be taken from the family and answered
- The children’s views and wishes will be shared during this part
Part 2 – Private family time
- Families will always be offered private time as a family
- This part is led by the family. The coordinator and other agencies will not be present for this part however, the coordinator can be there if the family want them to be
- The family will talk about how things could be improved, and concerns reduced
- The family will come up with a plan together
Part 3 – Agreeing the plan
- The coordinator and the other agencies will re-join the meeting
- Then the family will share their plan with the rest of the people in attendance
- As long as it covers the issues raised, suggests improvements for the children’s lives and helps keep them safe, it should be agreed by the requester
Click on the link below to see an example of a family group conference.
What happens after the meeting?
- The coordinator will send a copy of the plan to everyone who came and contributed to the FGC
- The coordinator may also create and send a child-friendly version of the plan for the children
- The family will be offered a review meeting to see what is working well and what might need to be changed or added to the family plan
- The coordinator will send a link to all involved, inviting them to complete a short feedback form
Click on the link below to understand what happens following the family group conference.