When can your child start school?
Children in Warwickshire can start school (Reception) in the September after their fourth birthday.
You can apply for a place from September in the year before your child turns 4 years of age. If your child was born between 1 September 2015 and 31 August 2016, you should apply for their Reception place by 5pm on 15 January 2020. After this date, you will need to make a late application.
Attending a nursery class does not guarantee a Reception place for your child at the associated school.
Schools you can apply for
Warwickshire residents can list up to six different primary or infant schools as preferences in your application.
- Warwickshire residents should have received a letter from the Admissions Service in September 2019 confirming the priority area school(s) for the address that is currently held on your child’s record. Contact us if you have not received this letter.
- You can also look online to check the priority area school for your address.
- Some schools do not have a priority area.
- The priority area may change if your child’s address changes at any point during the admissions process.
Open days and evenings
- Primary and infant schools often have open days and evenings. Contact the schools you are interested in to find out more.
- Visit the websites of the schools you are interested in applying for.
- Check the 2020 entry admission arrangements of the schools you are interested in applying for.*
- Faith schools and some academies will ask you to send them supplementary information using their own forms. You can upload completed forms during the online application process. You must still submit an online application in order to be considered for a place at that school.
* Our admission arrangements for 2020 entry to primary/infant schools include new oversubscription criteria that relate to children who are in receipt of the Pupil Premium through free school meals and also children who are on a Child Protection Plan and/or a Child in Need Plan. Therefore, you will need to include this information on your application. Read the arrangements to find out how these criteria will be used during the admissions process.
You will need to think about the transport options for each of your school preferences.
School performance information
- Ofsted - Read the schools' reports
- GOV.UK - Compare schools' performances
- GOV.UK - Ofsted is changing how it inspects schools
Timetable for entry in September 2020
|Stage of process||Date|
|Primary school application period starts||16 September 2019|
|Closing date for applications||15 January 2020|
|National Offer Day||16 April 2020|
|Deadline for accepting the offer||24 April 2020|
|Deadline for submitting appeals||29 May 2020|
|Appeal hearings for appeals submitted on time||June and July 2020|
|Autumn term starts||5 September 2020|