When can your child start school?
Children in Warwickshire can start school (Reception) in the September after their fourth birthday.
You can apply for a place from September in the year before your child turns 4 years of age. If your child was born between 1 September 2017 and 31 August 2018, you must apply for their Reception place by 15 January 2022 (5pm). Applications made after this date will be classed as late and not considered until the first allocation of school places has finished on 19 April 2022. Many schools are likely to have filled all their available places by then.
Attending a nursery class does not guarantee a Reception place for your child at the associated school.
Schools you can apply for
Warwickshire residents can list up to six different primary or infant schools as preferences in the application.
Priority areas (similar to catchment areas)
- A good place to start is by checking the priority area school for your address.
- Please note that some schools do not have a priority area.
- Your priority area may change if your child’s address changes at any point during the admissions process.
Open days and evenings
- Please check with the schools if they are holding open days or evenings. If not, we’d encourage you to visit their websites to find out as much as possible about each of them.
- Check the 2022 entry admission arrangements of the schools you are interested in. These will include detail on their individual admissions criteria.
- Faith schools and some academies will ask you to send them supplementary information. They usually have their own forms for this, which you can upload as part of the application process. Please remember that you must still submit an online application in order to be considered for a place at that school.
- For information on the Compulsory School Age (CSA) and advice and guidance on delaying or deferring your child’s start at school, please visit our deferring or delaying page.
When choosing your school preferences, please do think about the transport options available and how your child might travel to and from school each day.