Report a faulty street light
Alternative ways to report faulty streetlighting
Text LIGHTING and the fault details including town, street, column number or the location in a maximum of 160 characters to 07950 081 082 (Standard network charges apply).
Phone: 01926 412515
Monday – Friday: 8 am to 8 pm
Saturday: 9 am to 4 pm
Outside these hours you can leave an answer phone message and we will respond to your call.
Part night lighting
Approximately 80% of County Council-owned street lights now operate on a part night basis. This means approximately 39,000 street lights are switched off for some of the night:
- Sunday to Thursday – midnight to 5.30am
- Friday and Saturday – 1:00am and 6:30am
Street lighting part night operation maps
Lights owned by parish, town, district or borough councils are not be affected by this.
Parish Council Owned Lighting Map (PDF, 76.26 KB)
To see which lights we are changing to operate on a part-night basis, please see the map below:
The data used for this map was correct as of the 24th of August 2012.
Downloadable pdf’s of the street lighting part night operation maps
Nuneaton & Bedworth
Why we are doing this?
To save money
The Council spent approximately £2.2 million on electricity for street lighting each year. It is anticipated that operating the lights on a part night basis will save approximately £500,000.
To reduce carbon emissions
It is estimated that we will reduce Warwickshire County Council’s carbon emissions by 3,000 tonnes.
To reduce light pollution
In addition to saving money and reducing carbon emissions, ‘sky glow’ or light pollution will be significantly reduced.
Not all street lights are affected by the changes. After consultation with the Police, Road Safety and Community Safety certain locations remain switched on. These are:
- where there are potential hazards on the highway such as roundabouts, traffic signal controlled junctions, central carriageway islands, traffic calming features, road humps etc.
- at formal pedestrian crossings (Zebra, Pelican, Puffin, Toucan and Pegasus).
- areas covered by permanent Local Authority/Police CCTV cameras.
- areas next to elderly people care homes, sheltered accommodation complexes and A&E departments.
- lighting next to operational taxi ranks.
- lighting on public footpaths, alleyways and cycle paths which are located away from roads.
Communities Overview & Scrutiny Committee Review
The Communities Overview and Scrutiny Committee carried out a review of the street lighting energy saving project. The review was carried out by a cross party County Councillor Task and Finish Group who looked at all aspects of the project, including feedback from the public.
The report and recommendations were considered at the Communities Overview and Scrutiny Committee on 19th September 2012.
The Communities Overview and Scrutiny Committee approved the recommendations, with the additional recommendations:
- The Communities Overview and Scrutiny Committee recommend that Cabinet endorse the decision to operate part-night lighting in Warwickshire.
- The Chair asked for the minutes of the meeting and the minority report to be sent to Cabinet with the amended report of the Task and Finish Group.