Weddings and marriages in Warwickshire

Booking your civil ceremony

A civil ceremony may be registered at any of our registration offices or at an approved venue. Once you have decided on a venue and date please call 03005 550255 to check availability. A provisional booking can be made up to two years prior to your ceremony and a non-refundable deposit is requested at the time of booking.

Before your ceremony can take place you must each give legal notice of marriage to the local registration office in the district where you live.

What happens at our legal notice appointment?

You will need to make an appointment at the local registration office in the district where you both live. Legal notice should be given no more than 12 months before and no less than 28 days before the ceremony.

You will need to produce the following documents:

  • passports as evidence of identity and nationality;
  • full birth certificates if passports are not valid, and if you are born after 1st January 1983 you will need your Mother’s birth certificate;
  • some proof of residence in the form of a recent utility bill, council tax bill, bank statement or any other form of official documentation;
  • evidence showing how any previous marriages or civil partnerships have ended;
  • evidence of any name changes.

The notices will be placed on public display for a period of 28 clear days.

Immigration control

If one of the partners is subject to immigration control, you will need to attend a registration office together to give the required notice. Further information, please contact the registration office for your area.

How much does it cost?

  • Notice of a marriage – £35.00 each.

Venue costs

1st April 2015 – 31st March 2016

DayWarwick Register Office, Shire HallRegistration office ceremony roomsApproved venues
Monday to Thursday£50£185£350
Sunday and bank holidaysN/A£260£480

A non-refundable deposit of £85 is payable at the time of booking one of our ceremony rooms, or £120 when booking an approved venue. Balance of fees are due 12 weeks before the ceremony date. The next fee review is on the 1st April 2016 and the amount payable will be the fee applicable on the day of your ceremony.

Marriage in a church or other religious building

If you are getting married in a Church of England (marriage according to the rites of the Church of England), please make all of the arrangements with the minister at the church. The minister will advise you about your banns of marriage being called or of any other legal arrangements necessary.

If you are getting married at any other religious building which is registered for marriages (e.g. Methodist, Baptist, Muslim, Roman Catholic, Sikh, etc) you must fulfil all the legal requirements with the superintendent registrar for the district where you live by giving notice of marriage.

It is usually only possible to be married in a religious building situated in the district where one or both of you live. However, you may get married in a religious building in another district if either of you usually worship in that building.

The religious building will generally have a person appointed to register your marriage. If this is not the case, you must ensure that the registrar of marriages from the district in which the building is situated, is present at your wedding by prior arrangement. If you are unsure whether you need a registrar to attend, please contact the relevant registration office for your area for advice.

Weddings and marriages in Warwickshire was last updated on February 8, 2016.