Access to personal information and the Data Protection Act

Individuals have rights under the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) , to ask what personal information we hold about you, and subject to exemptions, we should supply that information within 40 calendar days. These are known as ‘subject access requests’. Please note that there a reasons why we may refuse to supply part of the information you have asked for, but we will write to you giving our reasons for refusal. We may have to remove or redact some information that relates to other people.

Some services hold more detailed information on case files where you may be receiving services from them.

Making a request for personal information

Social care information – if you have previously been in care as a child or received care as an adult, please use this link to find out how you can get access to your records.

If you are, or were adopted and require access to your adoption records, please see our Support for adopted people page.

For general requests to access any personal information we may hold on you as a customer or employee, or images captured on CCTV controlled by Warwickshire County Council, please use one of the forms/methods below. If the request is not for your own personal information, see our general access to information page.


Personal information request – online form – the most secure method is to use our online form.


Download and print the form below or write describing your requirements:

Access to personal information request form (pdf, 34  Kb)

Post to:

Information Management
Warwickshire County Council
Shire Hall
CV34 4RL


Your personal details and information may not be secure in transit using email and we suggest using the secure online form above, or by post.


Other information requests

County Record Office and family records

Our County Records Office may hold past information about family members from a number of sources, see the main categories of information held.

Schools Finder

If your request is for a pupil school  record, you will need to apply directly to the school.

Freedom of Information request

General non-personal requests for information the council holds.

Environmental Information Regulations request

General non-personal requests for information the council holds. You do not need to know under which regulation your requests falls, as we will determine this.


What happens if I am not satisfied with the response I receive?

If you are dissatisfied with the response, or haven’t received a response to a formal subject access request, then please follow the steps below. If this doesn’t relate to a formal request please follow the council’s complaint procedure.

1. First contact the Council officer who dealt with your request and see if they can resolve your concerns.

2. If you are not satisfied with the reasons or the manner in which your request was dealt with you have the right to request that the we carry out an internal review of the matter. You should ask for a review within 40 days of receiving our final response. All requests for an internal review should be made in writing to the address above and the matter will be dealt with under the council’s internal review procedure, as follows:

  • The matter will be dealt with on behalf of the Monitoring Officer by a senior officer with appropriate knowledge and experience. Ordinarily this will be the a member of the Corporate Legal Services team.
  • The internal review procedure is a single stage review process which in most cases will be completed within no more than 20 working days from the date of the request.
  • In some circumstances the review may take longer (e.g. if the matter is complex) however it should take no longer than 40 working days from the date of the request.

3. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the internal review, you may also appeal to the Information Commissioner if you feel we have not complied with our obligations. Your rights are explained on the Information Commissioner’s website.

You can contact the Information Commissioner at any time using the useful links or at the address below:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane


If an individual’s complaint is complex and extends beyond how their subject access request was dealt with, for example includes complaints about the services they have received, then it may be appropriate for it to be dealt with under the Council’s Complaints Procedure.


Access to personal information and the Data Protection Act was last updated on October 3, 2016.